From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:19:20 -0600
I was looking for "metabolic chaos" on a Medline search - not that I
expected to find anything :-) and surprisingly enough the term seems to only
refer to adults with diagnosed disease states and not demand fed infants!
Anyway wanted to post on the GFI web page that I was having trouble coming
up with the references which most *surely* must be out there and of course I
got distracted.  I came across a few interesting items.  I'm nomail for the
moment so if anyone has any comments you need to email me directly.  I
haven't read any of the papers so I can't provide much more information than
this.

Kate

>Dewey KG  Peerson JM  Heinig MJ  Nommsen LA  Lonnerdal B
>   Lopez de Romana G  de Kanashiro HC  Black RE  Brown KH
>Growth patterns of breast-fed infants in affluent (United States) and
>     poor (Peru) communities: implications for timing of complementary
>     feeding.
>   [Additional information: ABSTRACT ONLINE, ADDRESS]
>In: Am J Clin Nutr (1992 Dec) 56(6):1012-8
>
>  We compared growth, dietary intake, and morbidity of infants breast-
>  fed for > or = 12 mo from two populations: Davis, CA (n = 46) and
>  Huascar, Peru (n = 52). When compared against WHO reference data
>  (based primarily on formula-fed infants), Huascar infants appeared to
>  falter as early as 3-4 mo, but when compared with Davis breast-fed
>  infants, the curves for weight and length were very similar in girls
>  until 10-12 mo and in boys until 6-9 mo. Thereafter, Huascar infants
>  grew less rapidly than did Davis infants. Breast milk intake was very
>  similar between groups, but in Huascar the amount and nutrient
>  density of complementary foods consumed after 6 mo were lower and
>morbidity rates were much higher than in Davis. These results
>  indicate that growth faltering of Huascar infants, when judged
>  against breast-fed infants in the United States, occurs primarily
>  after the first 6 mo of life and is not due to poor lactation
>  performance.

>Program in International Nutrition
>  University of California
>  Davis 95616-8669.

>Hossain MM  Reves RR  Radwan MM  Habib M  DuPont HL
>The timing of breastfeeding initiation and its correlates in a cohort
>     of rural Egyptian infants.
>   [Additional information: ABSTRACT ONLINE, ADDRESS]
>In: J Trop Pediatr (1995 Dec) 41(6):354-9
>
>  Recent data on the patterns and correlates of the timing of
>  breastfeeding initiation in newborns are scanty for many countries
>  including Egypt. To obtain such data in four villages in rural
>  Bilbeis, we recruited apparently healthy, single neonates and their
>  apparently healthy mothers within 4 days of child birth, and followed
>  them prospectively during 1987 through 1989. All 150 neonates
>  included in the analyses were breastfed for some duration. At the
>  time of the first breastfeed, 36, 37, and 27 per cent of the neonates
>  were aged < 2, 2-5, and > or = 6 hours, respectively. All neonates
>  had received the first breastfeed by age 72 hours. In a multivariate,
>  polytomous logistic regression model, modern birth attendants and
>  longer ( > 8 hours) duration of labour were significantly associated
>with deferment of breastfeeding initiation till the neonate was aged
>  > or = 6 hours. Breastfeeding initiation appeared to be unduly
>  delayed in our study mothers and infants given that they were
>  apparently healthy during the early post-partum period. Later
>  initiation of breastfeeding was associated with indiscriminate
>  prelacteal feeding, earlier termination of breastfeeding, and
> [...]

Kate, mom to Ursula,  20 mos old, 2'8", 25 lbs  ( 81 cm, 11.4 kg), and ???
due 3/30/97  in Boulder, Colorado.

To a true book lover the author is merely the empty, shriveling husk that's
left when the book has been squeezed out of her.  -Margaret Atwood in "The
Book Group Book" 2nd ed., by Ellen Slezak

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/Home.html