Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 19:04:44 +-10-30
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
In Australia today of course it is not Thanksgiving and  most of have had a normal working day. I must say that I have never given Thanksgiving much thought. However being connected to the Lactnet has given new insight into American culture and I must admit that I have paused a couple of times today and thought warmly  of you all spending a lovely day with your families. 

I guess a lot of you probably wont have time to check the Lactnet, but for those of you that do, I am posting something not too serious for you to consider on your holiday.

An article in the Australian Doctor earlier this year discusses the topic of collective nouns that refer to people. The Book of St Albans published in 1486 lists 164 collective nouns of which 70 apply to people.
These include a doctrine of doctors, an eloquence of lawyers, a dignity of cannons and a sentence of judges. 
More recently James Lipton of the Mensa society lists a brace of orthopaedic surgeons, a flutter of cardiologists, a pile of proctologists, a smear of gynaecologists and a  holiday of family practitioners.
So what of a group of Lactation Consultants. Do we call ourselves an engorgement, a position, an attachment or a flow. I really like a "Supply" of Lactation Consultants. So what do you think?

Laureen Lawlor-Smith BMBS IBCLC
South Australia

ATOM RSS1 RSS2