From:
Moshe Shulman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:57:04 -0700
Dear Lactnetters:

Thank you all for your input about the 4 1/2 month old not gaining. First of
all, I agree that it's very important not to denigrate the nurse practitioner.
I do have this fault of being so zealous for the cause that people could be
repelled. It goes along with honey vs. vinegar theme just discussed. I am
learning from my mistakes, and have mellowed out a great deal, even though I
suspect I will always seethe internally.

The pacifier is a likely culprit. They are the rule. To the point that I
showed a holistic dentist Dr. Brian's post about breastfeeding and
orthodontists, and he responded that the shape of the pacifier is more of
a factor than just the use of one. (I've gotten lots of flack for never using
one - actually been accused of being cruel to the baby, which is downright
Orwellian.) This mom has a very demanding 2 year old, in addition to a large
family. She considered feeding the baby every 2 hours a hardship, when, in
reality, it's really normal.

I am concerned with the early introduction of solids with such a strong
history of allergy, but there is still a recommendation of 4 to 6 months as
the right age to start. The baby is over 4 months.

I will forward all the info to the mom, in a nice manner, of course.

Once again, thank you all.

All the best,
Devorah Shulman

--