From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:02:23 -0500
There is only so much one can do ! You said the right words, you
indicated that you were there for her no matter what happens (wean or
not). You did not make her feel guilty, you informed her and encouraged
her to breastfeed her baby. It is now up to her to decide if this is what
she really wants to do. Most of us were raised on formula (or 2% milk, in
my case... My mother was worried about fat intake and wnated me to turn
into a thin and beautiful woman. Poor her: I am beautiful, no doubt, but
thin ?????), and did not die, and she knows it. Maybe, you just gave her
the occasion of taking a decision...
Which happened to one of my clients yesterday. Young (20), living with
parents. She "would like" to breastfeed, but, in spite on long and
detailled information and support, did not give the breast for more than
2-3 times a day, pumped a little bit, complemented with a lactation aid.
Last time I had seen her, I had suggested to "stop the misery" and either
give the breast for real, of bottlefeed. This very demure (and probably
depressed too) woman came back yesterday: had given the breast every 2
hours, baby had gained beautifully. She demanded a prescription for vit.
D in a very calm and determined way. I think she has taken the first
decision by herself in her life, and is on her way to parenting.

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Chargee d'enseignement clinique
Departement de medecine sociale et preventive