From:
Lesley Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:13:37 -0400
I run a breastpump rental station and today I received a copy of Medela's
new flow chart entitled "Which Pump is Best for You?"  I realize that this
is promotional material, advertising Medela's products, but as information
directed at new mothers, I was disappointed to find it misleading and
incomplete.

The mother who does not plan to work is led to believe that she will need a
pump and the first recommended is the Mini Electric, a hefty investment for
occasional use or for someone who may never need to use a pump at all.
What does this say t

Rental pumps are recommended for a mother who is experiencing sore nipples.
The text states that "treating soreness usually involves short-term pump
use".  I would say that treating soreness RARELY involves pump use.  In
addition the sheet says "When recommended a pump is used infrequently and
for a short period of time to overcome soreness."    How could the pump
overcome soreness? - addressing the cause of the problem is the way to
overcome it.  The use of a pump may even increase soreness.

Medela also recommends pumps to mothers who have flat or inverted nipples.
I was disheartened to read that "Prolonged flat/inverted nipples will
require a double pumping breastpump."  A mother with flat/inverted nipples
may experience no difficulties breastfeeding.  Using a double rental pump
would seem a drastic strategy to me.

It is wonderful that such excellent pumps are available to mothers who need
them, but I probably spend as much time persuading a mother that she
DOESN'T need a pump than that she does.  The reliance on gadgets when their
use is inappropriate can undermine a mother's confidence in her ability to
breastfeed (in a similar way to how giving her formula "just in case" can
send her a subtle message).  It is usually the mothers who try every gadget
under the sun who end up giving up.

Comments anyone?

Lesley Robinson, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Corning, NY