From:
Marie Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:13:27 -0000
There was another discussion about the subtle marketing techniques the
ABM companies use on LACTNET just a few weeks ago. I totally agree with
Star Siegfried. I think it is VERY naive to think that Ross is doing
anything out of an interest in helping mothers breastfeed beyond the
first few weeks. It reinforces the idea that tiny babies should get a
little Mother's milk while Mom is still at home in her nightgown, but
that nursing in public or nursing an older baby/child are questionable
practices. The insidious message is: "If you want what is best for your
baby, then be a martyr and breastfeed briefly. When you come to your
senses and want to be in the real world - here is our product." It
totally undermines the idea of breastfeeding as NORMAL and the only thing
that most babies need. Explicit bashing of breastfeeding would do more
harm than good to their message. Subtle, sneaky advertising is much
harder to fight because well meaning people don't see the short term
harm. If this advertising technique was not successful, Ross would not
spend so much money on it.

Marie Schulte LLLL