From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 10:47:12 -0500
Jane was told that "Not all babies root."  Maybe the Pope isn't Catholic every day, either. Or the world really is flat. Silly me, how could I have misunderstood The Truth for so long?

The rooting remark is in the same category as what Jody McLaughlin heard from an OB after her talk on upright position for birth: "Gravity doesn't work on everyone, you know."

A neonatalogist, speaking of another doc who gave bad advice, told my friend Susan that "He (the other doc) wasn't wrong - he was just medically incorrect."

A local OB who mopped up for a client of mine said of the four (count em- 4!!) residents who missed her retained placenta for 10 weeks, then prescribed high-dose birth control pills to control her bleeding without affecting her milk supply: "Their philosophy was accurate, but their education was poor."

We all can't be making this stuff up - it's just too absurd. Please, friends, If I ever, EVER am heard to say anything this stupid, please bop me on the head with a piece of pump tubing and tell me to go amuse myself selling aluminum siding or someting equally harmless.

Linda Smith, Dayton OH - where one pregnant woman was "diagnosed" with colostrum for which an antibiotic was prescribed - "just in case."  I am not making this up.