From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:20:49 -0500
Why was the baby taken off the breast?  I am just guessing but it is
probably because the physician really doesn't believe in breastfeeding in
his/her heart.  S/he also is likely to be inexperienced in managing any
lactation problems.  If everything goes well breastfeeding is OK but as
soon as there is any problem then the first and only solution is to use
only "scientifically formulated" breastmilk substitute.

I would want to try an SNS with this baby if the mother is willing, also
pumping after each nursing and maybe even between nursings if the baby is
really not feeding every hour and a half or so. Lots of skin to skin
contact and baby wearing as well. The baby sounds
lethargic from lack of food but certainly other underlying physical
problems must be ruled out.

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon