HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:48:02 EST

>         Sometime last spring, I recall conversations on this list about
> excavations of pharmacies. Can anyone (without going to too much trouble)
> provide citations (even of gray lit.) for excavations of doctors offices,
> medical schools, hospitals, and pharmacies. Please feel free to respond to
> me directly so as not to tie up the list.  Thanks in advance.
>
>                 Eric L. Larsen          [log in to unmask]

Eric,

I am presently writing up two excavations here in Richmond, Va. One
was a cadaver pit for the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) and the
other was a series of houselots, middens, privvies, etc. occupied
first by a free black surgeon/barber in the 1780-1800 period, then by
a series of both white and black doctors. The latest occupation we
worked on was the house, office and yard of a physician and former
dean of the faculty of MCV (1870s-80s). I don't have reports to offer,
but I'll be happy to kibbitz if I can be of any help.

Dan Mouer