HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Shannon Dawdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:38:30 -0600
Hello, I live in New Orleans and although I can't put people up, I
do have some advice.  Grad students should try the American Youth Hostel
at 2249 -1/2 Carondelet Street, (504) 523-3014.  Call ASAP, as I'm sure
they fill up fast.  This area requires extra caution, especially at
night.  But this will be true of any affordable hotel in New Orleans.
Parts of the city are quite dangerous - If you find a hotel room listed
as in the city (versus the distant suburbs) and they're asking for less
than $60 a night, something is wrong and you should probably avoid it.
Your best bet will be doubling or even quadrupling up in one of the
downtown chain motels such as Comfort Suites, Best Western, Hampton Inn, etc.

Good luck and please play it safe in an unfamiliar city!

Shannon Dawdy
University of New Orleans
(504)286-6516