From:
Philippa Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:04:28 +1000
Marie's question on osteoporosis is a fascinating one, as to my knowledge it
goes beyond what the literature says.  There have been a number of studies
that show that bone density decreases during lactation. Other studies show
that within six months of weaning, the bone density is better than it was
before pregnancy.  Hence the oft quoted statement that breastfeeding is
protective against osteoporosis.  (One problem with some studies is that if
they only follow a woman for six months postpartum, then the recovery period
has not taken place yet.)

However, we do not know what happens if when a woman already has
osteoporosis what the effect is of the decrease in bone density during the
period she is breastfeeding.

One of the joys and challenges of Lactnet is that it pushes us to the limits
of knowledge and shows us the areas where we really do not know the answers!
(yet??)

Philippa Thomson
Melbourne, Australia