From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 07:08:57 -0400
Hello everybody, I hope someone can help me with this search.  My sister is
part of an on-line infertility news/support group and she has asked me to
find information and resources about this subject.  In general, these women
have had a baby after using fertility drugs, and are now nursing an older
(often > 1 yo) baby.  They want to go back to treatment to conceive again.
[Remember, likely demographics of this group is that many/most are in their
late 30s.]  There is virtually nothing about these drugs and breastfeeding,
and as they compare notes they are finding that there is a lot of
conflicting advice.

The drugs are:

Injectable gonadotropins:  Humegon, Pergonal, Metrodin
Another injectable (don't know exactly what class):  Lupron
    It also now comes as a nasal spray:  Synarel
Oral:  Clomid

I could only find references to Clomid;  I understand it will suppress
lactation.

Questions are:

** What references/resources are there for any of these drugs?  (Medical
references desperately needed!)
** What, if any, effect would there be on the nursing toddler?  Do these
drugs pass through the milk?  (Is there significance to injectable vs.
nasal/oral?)
** If lactation suppression is a side effect of any/all of these, what is
the significance of that action when we are talking about nursing an OLDER baby?
** Tom Hale, can you please repeat the information about your fax service?
(Or can someone else share it?)  This time I promise to keep it somewhere
where I can find it again!  :-)

Any and all information gratefully received - TIA!

Mary
Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
CERP/Recertification Coordinator
Int'l Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE)
P O Box 2348
Falls Church  VA  22042-0348  USA
Tele 703-560-7330
Fax 703-560-7332
Email <[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]>