Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:00:06 -0400
I swore I would not post for a long, long time but this one takes the cake so I felt
compelled to post about it.

I have a mom who gave birth at 31 weeks about 4.3 weeks ago.  She has been pumping since
birth and baby has been transferred to three different hospital.  When talking to her
yesterday, I learned that despite mom's request for no bottles and no water or formula
to be given to her baby, baby has been bottle fed the entire time.  Is this legal?

Then when she asked my local hospital if she could use their pump while she visited her
baby they said they didn't have one.  This I knew but their reason for why didn't have a
breastpump (none not even manuals) knocked me off my chair.  My local hospoital doesn't
carry breatspumps because the transmit AIDS from pump user to pump user.  Now, I know
Medela reps have been there and I know they have completed a Georgetown bfing initiation
program, but I can't understand for the life of me why they told her that.  I know
Bedford is behind the times by at least 15 years but this is ridiculous.  I guess I
should just be glad they don't have the pumps or they may scare people to death!
AAARRRGGGHHHH!
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner         Fax: 814-624-0846