From:
Susan Smylie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 11:20:26 -0400
I missed the original post on this subject, but wanted to add to what Dalia
said on the subject.  If you are worried about or dealing with ear
infections, I highly recommend the book "Childhood Ear Infections" by Dr.
Michael Schmidt.  He has the references regarding antibiotic use
contriubuting to recurrent ear infections (he is not against antibiotics in
all cases, but stresses that they are severely overused to treat ear
infections).  He has tons of info from many different studies and his own
experience and discusses many ways of managing ear infections.

My older son had 5 acute (fever/pain) ear infefctions in his first year of
life, each of which was treated with antibiotics.  He has not had another ear
infection, is now 3, and still nurses lying down.  He was given antibiotics
at birth, which I believe was a major contributing factor to his developing
ear infections (first at 2 months).  Dr. Schmidt explains this connection.

Susan Smylie