From:
Carlos Gonzalez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 16:38:48 +0200
Attie:
Salmonella is not in breastmilk, salmonella diarrhea is a self-limited
disease, and I can not think of any good reason for giving soya milk to
this baby. He should be exclusively breastfed, (with oral rehidration
fluids added after feedings if stool loss is really great in volume;
number or colour of stools not really important). It has been show that
diarrhea last longer when breastfeeding is temporarily delayed.
Babies less than three months of age with salmonella usually receive
antibiotics, because of the greater risk of sepsis. I understand this one
is afebrile ans doing well; but if he had again fever or a bad general
state, he should be seen by a doctor.
Best wishes                     Carlos Gonzalez, MD (Ped.)