From:
the davis' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:57:58 -0400
First of all I agree with Lesley about the use of "gadgets." We have to be
discrimatory about selling/renting.

Second, I need some help, hopefully before a home visit tomorrow a.m. I have
a mom that started out great with BF. Nursed well for 3-4 weeks. Now baby is
extremely fussy. Cries after every feeding. Mom was about to have dad
introduce a bottle of expressed milk. She pumped 3 ounces from each breast
in just a few minutes and could have pumped more. he does not vomit, has
gained three pounds over birth weight. We have talked much on the phone, my
first assessment will be tomorrow. In the initial phone conversations, we
pretty much dismissed yeast and dairy intolerances. She does not leak, but
can spray when touching the breast. She says milk runs out of his mouth.  He
nurses fairly well during the night, but cries all hours of the day. For the
past 24 hours she has nursed all feedings in four hours from one breast,
then the other. She feels her supply has diminished some in that time, and
now he "isn't getting enough". He does well with a bottle of expressed milk.
She also tried nursing in the "Australian" position (her lying on back, him
facing downward on her belly), she said he did not like that at all. She is
making comments like "he does so well on the bottle. Should I just pump it
and feed through a bottle?" I really don't want her to give up, she
mentioned she loves nursing. Besides, she is my husband's boss' wife! We
have talked about eliminating dairy and artificial sweeteners (she is a die
hard diet drink fan). She says she hasn't had much in the last few days. I
saw her at a restaurant last night eating hot wings. We'll dig a little
deeper into the diet tomorrow. Any suggestions for what I might be missing,
or for some shorter term diagnostic measures. She is getting pretty desperate.