Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Debra Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:06:27 UT
Pat-I have had chronic hives for 8 years now-possible causes can be immune
system disturbances, foods she's eating especially salicylate products & those
with tartrazine, abnormal estrogen levels, some drugs, insect bites, plant
allergies, pet allergies, sinus problems, heat, coldness, stress, physical
exercise, and the unknown.  Personally I have the unknown kind which get worse
when I'm hot, have an infection, or eat certain foods.  I've had every test
imaginable and still no cause found or effective cure as is the case
frequently with hives.  My ideas: when breastfeeding the mother tends to get
warmer and even sweaty and her estrogen levels may be off.  See if she's does
anything different when she's nursing like use a different detergent,
different softner, different bleach, eats things she usually doesn't or eats
alot more of certain foods when nursing or pregnant, or maybe goes out in the
sun more with baby.  Any of these things could be culprit and sometimes they
never know.  What works fairly well for the itching & heat of hives: Benadryl
cream(sprays are too sticky and pills make one too drowsy).  She may need some
H1 antihistamines & possibly a combo of H1 & H2 antihistamines although these
don't work for me.  If the hives get really bad she may need shortterm steroid
therapy(ie. a Medrol dose pack for 7 days) or a shot of epinephrine.  I do not
know exactly which antihistamines are safe while breastfeeding-may want to
consult Dr. Hale on that matter.  Hopefully they aren't too bad for her.  If
they go away when she stops nursing &/or when not pregnant, I would really
suspect anything different she does or ingests, the hormone connection, and
the cholinergic uticaria d/t heat.  No offense but she should probably see an
allergist/immunologist over an internal medicine or family doctor just because
they're likelier to have more experience with hives.  Hope this helps & good
luck to you & the mom!!!
     Debi Savage RN, BSN, SNM(hopefully IBCLC after 7/96!) from Westmont,
IL(near Chicago)