From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 18:01:04 -0400
I received this message today. Please answer to me, and I will forward to
this LLLeader. Thanks. Kathleen

>Subject: Low hemoglobin in newborn

>Dear Kathleen,
>
>I am a La Leche League Leader in Nelson, B.C.. Got a call from a Mom
>yesterday who had had a very rapid delivery and the baby's cord ripped in
>the process.  Baby was born with a hemoglobin of 135. Doctor prescribed
>iron supplement.  Baby is now five days old and has terrible, painful, gas
>and very few bowel movements. Recommended switch nursing etc. in case baby
>is not getting enough to produce b.m.'s.
>
>My questions:
>
>Since iron is so constipating, could gas and lack of b.m.'s be caused by
>iron supplements?
>
>How rapidly does the iron in breastmilk get absorbed in order to bring
>baby's hemoglobin up to normal?
>
>If baby is indeed  anemic, is there any other way to supplement iron (i.e.
>can mother take supplements) so that it is not upsetting baby's system?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Yours,
>Judy Banfield

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLLeader, co-owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
LACTNET archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html