From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 00:41:32 -0400
Lesley, I agree that here in the US (other places on the globe please chime
in!) lactation "technology" is getting out of hand (out of BOTH hands). A
few years ago I was so thankful that pump companies had evolved quality
products. Now it seems each month brings a new bell and whistle to their
product lines -- and more women who appear in my office convinced they need
technology to successfully breastfeed their infants. Some days I get so
weary trying to convince clients NOT to rent/purchase gadgets that I wonder
if I am any less culpable than the abm companies who market direct to
parents.

Months ago I was put on hold at one of the large pump companies, and
listened to a perky recording. It was aimed at new mothers, and touted a
rentable scale that would "take the worry" out of bf. (No -- not mentioned
in context of premature or ill babies.) I don't know about y'all, but I
think that line of marketing is harmful to our goals of preserving,
promoting and supporting bf.

No doubt about it. Pumps and gadgets have "saved the day" for some women and
infants. And the well-known pump companies have been responsive to our input
on product needs. But where do we draw the line between professional
recommendations -- and marketing that might serve to distance a woman from
bf? The trend towards "direct marketing" of pumps and gadgets to parents is
troubling. "Breast pump" is an item that has made it to most layette lists
in parenting magazines.

New parents are increasingly seen as "big ticket" consumers. We have set
distance between ourselves and the abm interests...but I think we need to
look critically at our roles in "marketing" for pump companies as well.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC