Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 00:04:50 -0500
Melissa,  I, too, had a mother with NO nipples.  She could pump milk and was
so very determined to breastfeed her baby, as she was sure that there was no
safe alternative.  She fed the baby with finger/SNS to satisfy suck and cup
to encourage interest in the breast.  She tried every position in the book
and napped with baby on her chest and he slept with her--all of the
"connecting" techniques.  One day, after five weeks of frustration,
dedication, and hard work, she was awakened from a nap and he had made his
way to a breast and was attempting a latch-on.  We discontinued the finger
feeding and after a week of just cup feeding he began to nurse at the breast
a couple of times a day...then more...then more.  What joy!

Until... her nipples(?) became very sore.  There wasn't anything to go far
back into the mouth.  She alternated breasts, and cup fed to let one heal,
then the other.  His mouth grew and he was able to open wider and wider, and
when he was able to pull the "front of the breast" to the back of his
mouth,there was no more soreness.

Perhaps only cup-feeding would have hastened his latch-on, but I respected
her desire to satisfy his sucking desire occasionally.  In fact, I respected
her beyond words! This short recounting doesn't do justice to this beautiful
mother. And dad was a hero too.

He nursed a long time and no one could tell her she should wean.  She had
earned a long, enjoyable breastfeeding experience.

So, if your client is really determined and you encourage her to pump and
feed-- one day at a time, her baby can be breastfed.  She probably wouldn't
want to know that it might take six weeks +, and it might not.

Good luck!

Pat Gima