Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 06:30:30 +0800
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 21:04:16 +0000
Subject: Endometriosis and breastfeeding

Hi everyone

As far as I know, endometriosis is reduced during lactation, mainly
because oestrogen levels are lower, and it is this hormone that
stimulates the areas of endometriosis. I presume that as long as
someone isn't ovulating whilst breastfeeding, then their oestrogen
levels are lower and they will have less problems.
I think there is some evidence that long periods of anovulation (eg
pregnancy followed by lactation for a longish period), may make areas
of endometriosis regress quite a lot, so that the problem is not so
bad when ovulation starts again.
Katherine Dettwyler or others, is endometriosis rarer in societies
where prolonged breastfeeding is the norm ??

Fiona Coombes
Doctor and IBCLC
Perth Western Australia
Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia