From:
Trish Carrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:16:59 +0800
Hi,
I am very behind on my lactnet and at the moment am 'nomail'  however I
would like to share with you some information which I have found recently on
goats milk.

Firstly, Mum's milk is the best then I agree with what many others have been
saying that commercialy available ABM would be much better than fresh goats
milk, for a young baby.

Now what I have to offer refers to older children, so to introduce goats
milk after the baby has reached one year of age would probably be more
beneficial that cows milk for the following reasons:

* goats milk has an enzyme present wich is also present in human brest milk
and not cows milk,
* this enzyme seems to help children who have been 'diagnosed' as ADD and
who have eczema, hayfeaver or asthma.
* people who are lactose intollerant are able to drink goats milk

Also the non pasturised/homogenised form is better, however a it has been
pointed out can be dangerous.  Here in Western Australia we have a goats
dairy which sells un parsturised/homogenised goats milk which has been
approved by the health department and test on their product show it to be
clear and cleaner than many pasturised/homogenised cows milk brands.  So you
would need to find a reputable dairy.

However I think that our society puts too much emphsis on milk and dairy
products.... Us humans (and not all cultures) are the only species who
continue to drink milk after we have been weaned.  It seems that the dairy
industry has a lot of $$ in promoting milk and the seem to have a lot of
power in influencing social thinking.  There are many other foods which
contain calsium and all the other so called benefits of milk and in a more
absorbable form.  Yet we still drink our milk and eat our cheese..... yes
even me;)

Well I hope this has been useful, I do not have reference to these facts but
could find them if they were needed.

Trish