Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:13:57 -0400
I am a member of the editorial staff of JHL, and have been constantly amazed
at the advances our journal has made in the last few years, and its
professional  position in many medical libraries around the world.  The
dedication of the staff is incredible, which I challenge anyone to find in
any other professional organization, or in the staff of any other
professional journal.  Some of the editors spend 40 to 100 hours or more per
month for no pay.  I believe everyone hopes this as a temporary situation,
that once our journal and organization is firmly established, financially
healthy, and thriving, people in these positions (ILCA staff also) should be
compensated for their excellent work.  So we have been willing to donate our
time "for the cause."  We all feel a bit like "founding mothers" nuturing our
fledgling organizaiton and journal.

BUT, the amount of work involved to get a journal like this out is beyond
what anyone can expect from a volunteer. Compensation for our Editor in Chief
needs to be maintained and increased to a satisfactory level. I agree totally
with Babrara Wilson-Clay that it takes an enormous amount of time and energy
to get each article, section and advertisment ready for publication. Many
people just can't imagine the work it takes.   What busy, qualified
professional would accept the job for no pay?   Who would have the time to do
it for free?  The pool of truly qualified people willing to accept such a
position dwindles dramatically (close to zero I suspect)  when no
compensation is thrown into the equation. We are running the risk of spoiling
what we have accomplished so far and may degenerate back to a newsletter
format or a sad shadow of what JHL is now.

This doesn't mean that I like the basketball on the cover.  That definitely
still needs help.

Jane Bradshaw, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Private Practice, Forest, VA