Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Patricia Gima, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 22:02:10 -0500
Sue, You asked about breast pain and ibuprophen and tylenol. I read in JHL
vol.8,1992 pp149-51 and article by Hopkins which describe pain that seemed
like thrush pain but was not responding to treatment.  She recommended
therapeutic massage.  The treatment was successful.  Since then I have
referred several clients to a PT or OT or qualified massage therapist and
have had remarkable success.  These women, too, responded to ibuprophen.
There is a band of muscles across the back, under where a bra would be, that
is attached to the breast and tension in this area can cause severe pain in
the breast during let-down or after feeding.  Birth strain, holding the baby
with tension, or continued looking down at the baby can build up the back
strain, as can the stress of "instant motherhood."

If the symptoms are sore nipples and excruciating breast pain, but other
signs of thrush aren't present, I try this back treatment first before
getting into all of the thrush treatments.  If it is thrush these treatments
surely won't work, but some good back work is good after giving birth
anyway.  I seldom have trouble convincing a mother to go for some good body
work.

Pat Gima,IBCLC
Milwaukee