From:
Barry Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 21:17:33 +0000
Hello to you all, this is my first posting on BEE-L.

I wish to ask the question, what is the optimum relative humidity to
maintain in a honey hot room if one wishes to reduce the moisture
content in honey.

I currently have an insulated room 9 x 7 x 4 metres which I warm to
+32°c (90°F) using two heat pumps coupled together outside which
circulate refrigerant to an evaporator coil and fan system inside.
With a timer I can make this go into reverse cycle there by
temporarily chilling the inside evaporator to condense ice to it. A
timed reverse back to warming cycle will cause the ice on the
evaporator coil to melt which can then be caught in a tray and drained
away out side there by it is hoped to drop the humidity in the hot
room. The system is very cheap to run.

I know dehumidifiers are used in honey hot rooms in other parts of the
world and I would be interested in what percent relative humidity
other operators aim for. The lowest possible RH would mean more
running costs where as a happy medium might be 50% RH. Any ideas and
experience would be most welcome.

Barry Foster
Gisborne
New Zealand.