From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 19:28:37 +0100
On Thu, 23 May 1996, Ted Fischer wrote:

> Stuart Grant writes:
> > Today I purchased some equiptment from a couple who'd kept bees for a few
> > years but whose charges died over the winter. They said the bottom of the
> > hive was full of dead bees so I assume that the dreaded mite was the
> > problem.

> The used equipment, even full of dead bees, will not contain living varroa
> mites that could get into your other bees. ...

However, the bees could also have died from other causes.
Hygiene practices are always worthwhile, IMHO. In these cases,
I Personally always scorch the boxes and stuff, and replace
the frames and foundation. But then EFB and AFB are notifiable
here in the UK and can result in mandadtory destruction of
the colonies.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]      [log in to unmask] (work)
The Basingstoke Beekeeper (newsletter)      [log in to unmask]