From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 12:33:58 -0400
Hi All,
Anecdotally, here...

Both my boys had severe vomiting problems after eating.  With my oldest, I
had a lousy Ped who kept telling me it was a sensitive gag reflex.  Since I
was only 19 yrs old at the time, I didn't know squat about allergies or
reflux or anything.  My thought is that it may have been a dairy allergy that
got out of hand, because he was still thowing up all the time at the age of
18 mo.  He started to refuse to eat, started losing weight and regressing
developmentally.  Finally changed Peds, to a good one who diagnosed severe
reflux.  His was a borderline case of Meds or surgury.  We tried meds first,
and they worked.  He recovered nicely, but still has a real picky eating
problem, as a result.
My 2nd son (9 yrs later and with me much more educated!) also started
vomiting profusely after feeds.  Sometimes was projectile, sometimes not.
 Took him to Ped who suggested that since it seemed to run in the family
(same Ped whose Ped wife helped my oldest son) let's try him on Reglen.  No
change what-so-ever.  My LC suggested a milk allergy.  I took all dairy out
of my diet, and within 4 days the vomiting had stopped.  After 4 weeks off
dairy, I challenged by drinking a 6 oz glass of chocolate milk.  Within one
feed, Ben was throwing up for the rest of the day!  Needless to say, we had
our culprit!  Even a tiny piece of chees, or some food with hidden dairy
would get him.  When he was about 12 mo old, I started challenging my diet,
and as long as the amounts were minimal, he was OK.  Now at 23 mo, he eats
cheese and ice cream and has no probs at all.
Has this vomiting baby been checked for a dairy allergy?  If not, it might be
a nice place to start!
Take care!

Jay