From:
P Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 11:15:00 -0400
Ros,

Re your question, will breastfed sons have those loving feelings in
fatherhood and wnat their wives to breastfeed?  I say YES!  My son who is 23
recently met a girl and is getting serious.  One of the first questions he
asked her was how she felt about breastfeeding?  Thankfully she said that
was what she intended to do. I am sure I (as an interfering mother-in-law)
would not be able to STAND IT, if my daughter-in-law would not breastfeed.
To me, it means (IF she is informed about the benefits of BF and the dangers
of ABM) that she is probably self-centered and selfish.  And I do not want
my son to marry a woman who is too selfish to give of herself.  It would
only mean heartache for him, IMO.  Is this too harsh an attitude?  I realize
that there are some sexually abused women who simply CAN'T breastfeed, and I
think I could adjust in a case like that, but it would still be hard to see
a grandchild on ABM.  I would probably want to nurse the baby myself!

My 19 year old daughter is almost as enthusiastic as I am about
breastfeeding, and can't wait to have a baby. (Of course, she wants a
husband first.) She is majoring in public speaking in college and recently
spoke on the politics of breastfeeding.  Her professor was totally amazed
and gave her an A!  My 15 year old son is particularly embarrassed about the
whole subject right now. He'll get over it.

Pam Wiggins, IBCLC