From:
Melissa Brancho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:21:47 -0400
katherine a. dettwyler wrote:

> One of the commenters about the breastfeeding mom who smokes marijuana wrote:
>
> > but at least formula is drug free.
>
> My only comment: I wouldn't count on it.  Cows are full of drugs.
> Antibiotics and growth hormones, not marijuana, but I'd place my bets on
> human milk in this case.

> -------
> Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email: [log in to unmask]
> Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
> Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
> College Station, TX  77843-4352I thought that formula being drug free was a long shot but was not sure enough to post
it here.  I know the dairy cows accross the street from me are routinely given "dry up
hormones" (farmer's words so I don't have a clue what he is talking about) throughout
the winter or when he takes his vacation in the summer and given hormones when he comes
back.  They are sprayed with all kinds of bug repellants and pesticides are used on the
grazing fields.  The scarey part is he has about 500-1000 dairy cows (yes, this could
be your milk too)!

Since moving to cow-town, PA I have re-evaluted my family's consumption of ALL dairy
products and even local produce for this very reason.  We are all allergic to dairy so
cutting it down and even out of our diet is not problem.  We use 1 gallon of milk a
month and rarely buy cheeses and other forms of dairy.  I never knew just how many
meds., pesiticides and fertilizers were used in dairy or any kind of farming for that
matter.

Taking that information and comparaing to the staggering cancer rates in this area
(even serious cancer in small children), you would see why I limit my produce and milk
consupmtion.  Heck, I don't even drink my well water after sterilization!  I agree with
Katherine, at least we would know what was in her milk.  Who knows what's in and on that
cow!
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner