From:
"Hurst, Nancy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 11:25:00 -0500
Mary:
We followed a mother several years ago who had HELLP syndrome and then
suffered a stroke a few days following delivery. She began pumping while
still in the ICU, but did'nt begin a frequent schedule of milk expression
until about 10 days after delivery. She brought her volume up to approx. 15
ml., 6-7 times a day when the baby (30 weeks gestation at birth) was 3-4
weeks old. We gave her syringes to draw her milk up in - it was too
depressing for her to deliver those bottles with only the bottom covered
with milk. She stated that this really helped her state of mind. Her volume
came up a little more once the baby went to breast at about 32 weeks
(30-40ml). After discharge, she gradually increased breastfeeds and was
exclusively breastfeeding at 2 weeks post-discharge. She bf exclus for 6
months with good weight gain and weaned at 18 months. I must admit that she
was a very laid back person. She had nursed a full term infant prior to this
birth with success and was determined that this breastfeeding experience
would succeed. As you know, this is an important part of the process. Hope
this story helps your mother.

Nancy Hurst, RN, MSN
Lactation Program
Texas Children's Hospital