From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:57:36 -0600
Sorry, but I am way behind on reading Lactnet, so perhaps this is now
dated.  I can't help thinking that if babies in the U.S. were more often
carried in baby slings rather than pushed around in strollers or lugged
about in molded plastic seats, it would be awfully hard for a
"breastfeeding bandit" or other person intent on grabbing them to get hold
of them at all.  We know so little of the situations involved in these
stories of the "breastfeeding bandit."  Is this a case of a new urban
legend?  Is it a story purposefully planted by enemies of breastfeeding?
Where were the parents when this was supposedly happening?  How old were
the babies involved?  Older babies often view any stranger with great
suspicion, let alone being willing to nurse from them.  The whole thing
seems awfully fishy to me.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI