From:
Daniel S Chapple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 14:44:34 +0100
 Hello everyone, I've just subscribed to LACTNET and I research into the
 antimicrobial effects of milk.  In answer to the recent question on eye
 infections and breast milk, there is a large number of proteins,
 chemicals and antibodies in milk.  These all work together to prevent
 infections, and so at present could not put into abm.  I work on one of
 these proteins, called Lactoferrin.  This has an antimicrobial effect
 against many bacteria.  It is therefore not surprising that eye
 infections etc do clear up in the presence of human milk.  Another good
 reason to promote breast feeding!

 A good general reference is:

 Newman, J;  How Breast Milk Protects Newborn;  Scientific
 American, December 1995 (should be easy to get hold of and worth
 reading)
 or
 Dewey et al (May 1995);  Differences in morbidity between breast-fed
 and formula-fed infants, The Journal of Pediatrics, Vol 126, No 5(pt 1)

 Daniel Chapple UMDS, Guys Hospital