From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 21:54:33 -0400
Hi all. I have a mother who has been in contact with me for several weeks.
She is at the END OF HER ROPE..and I am wondering if I have missed something.

Her baby is 4 mo old, weighs 18 lb. She had IV antibiotics at birth, soon
after baby developed a raging yeast diaper rash, and mother dev deep breast
pain. Nipples became scabby and red and cracked..and mother has treated with
3 rounds of Gentian violet (no improvement)..and is now on 400 mg Diflucan
po qd ...has been on it since last Thurs, with not a lot of improvement,
although there is some improvement.  Topically, she still is in pain, and
still has burning pain in breasts. Has a tube of a steroid ointment, but was
loathe to use it till today, when she thought she might try it. Mother is
very knowledgeable, educated, and is running into brick walls...baby has
oral thrush...treated with Nystatin, with NO improvement. MD refuses to
treat baby with DIFLUCAN ped dose.  Something about not wanting to be the
first or last in a place to prescribe a new medication.

Mother is on acidophilis, and is not eating sugar. She is getting VERy
depressed, as the Diflucan runs out on Thursday, and she has an appt
then..and is hoping for a renewal of the prescription , but is thinking she
will have to fight for it.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?  Is there anything else to do for this mother?

Thanks. Please email privately and to the list.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLLeader, co-owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
"Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving." Erma Bombeck