From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 17:55:33 -0700
What hormonal fluxes besides thyroid cause coldness?  I have been pondering
this, because each time I have had a baby, I have gone through a postpartum
period of waking up at night quite cold, although well-covered.  To test
what is going on, I have taken my temperature, and found in fact it is low.
The lowest recording I got was 96.8 (which I confirmed with a second
thermometer).  It's actually rather frightening to wake up this cold.

I also find this happens occasionally just before my menstrual period
begins, even now when my youngest is 7 years old.  TSH results measured
this fall were normal.

Later in the night after a cold episode, I wake up quite hot, with sweat
pouring off me (which at least is not scary, although the trickling is
tickling).

It seems to me there's a hormonal component.  Is there a physiological
explanation anyone can propose for the cold?

Arly Helm               [log in to unmask]
MS, Nutrition & Food Science, CLE, IBCLC