From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 21:10:19 -0400
Hi all. I just thought I would run this again for anyone who hasn't seen it
lately. I have changed a few things today. I added the INDEX feature info,
added the Lactnet Archives on WWW http address, and also there is a change
in the percentage of subscribers who would need to agree to add a person
back into the list, should they be bumped due to bad manners...from 10% to
25% of subscribership.

Anyone who doesn't need this , or has another copy, can ditch this. If you
don't have a copy, you may want to print it and keep it for future reference.

Kathleen

>****We welcome all Lactation professionals  to Lactnet...including
>Lactation Consultants and educators, childbirth educators, nurses, LLL
>Leaders, midwives, dietiticians, WIC personnel, MDs, social scientists,
>etc...****** LACTNET is a marvelous vehicle for sharing of professional
>information regarding lactation and case management.
>
>If you are ***not*** a professional involved in the field of lactation, and
>are joining LACTNET to seek advice with your own lactation
situation...Please ***stop**** and know LACTNET is not the place for this
type of subscription.  The GOOD NEWS is  that a list exists for personal
breastfeeding questions and discussion of extended bf and attachment
parenting.  PARENT-L is  an alternate listserv list  where many families
find breastfeeding information and support.  Parent-L is a list for mother
to mother (and father, grandfather, sister, interested bystander, support
for breastfeeding and parenting issues.) Parent-L contains  all sorts of
parenting/breastfeeding issue discussions , Many threads that occur in
>LACTNET  also occur on PARENT-L,  and tend to draw upon personal experience.
>For info on joining PARENT-L, contact [log in to unmask]  Personal
>inquiries on LACTNET are ***not accepted*** at this time.  If you would like
>to find an IBCLC (Board Certified Lactation Consultant)  in your area to
>assist you...you may  contact the ILCA (International Lactation Consultant
>Association) office and you  will be referred to three IBCLC's in your area.
>
>You can reach  ILCA at 200 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 300, Chicago IL 60601;
>phone 312-541-1710 or fax 312-541-1271. ILCA's e-mail address is
>
>Another good source of breastfeeding assistance  is LLLI,  La Leche League
>International. LLLI provides volunteer bf counseling, from experienced bf
>mothers.  You can contact your local LLL Leader by calling the postpartum
>unit at your local hospital..or  LLL can be contacted on the WWW at
>http://www.prairienet.org/llli/
>
> If you post personal notes asking for assistance on LACTNET, your
>subscription will be terminated.  We are sorry, but we  cannot handle the
>volume of mail that would ensue.

>IMPORANT LACTNET INFO- PLEASE PRINT A HARD COPY AND KEEP THIS!!!
>                                IMPORTANT LISTSERV INFO
>

>LACTNET is an  informational discussion group for lactation consultants and
>other professionals  interested in lactation consulting and breastfeeding.
>As of 2/6/96, there are over 825 subscribers on the LACTNET list.  You have
>now been added to LACTNET, and you should soon begin to receive compact
>digest groups of messages from the UMMED computer. All subscribers are
>immediatley set to DIGEST.  Our traffic is around 100  messages per day,
and as of 5/96, there are nearly 1000 subscribers.  Please note that all
messages are public, that the list is open, and that you should post only
what you are willing to have printed on the front page of the NY Times.
LACTNET's ARCHIVES are available on the WWW at
http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html

> [...]
>the FREE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION. The information posted by all subscribers
>to LACTNET is neither verified nor endorsed by the co-owners of the list,
>nor is it
>monitored for accuracy.
>
>LACTNET MAY NOT BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL BENEFIT OF ANY COMPANY or individual.
>INFORMATION found on LACTNET may not be reproduced or quoted without the
>EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.   All Company representatives (defined as
>persons who are paid a salary by that company) who are subscribed to LACTNET
>must identify themselves as such with every post. If you are signing on to
>Lactnet, or are already on Lactnet, and are a PAID REPRESENTATIVE of any
>company--ESPECIALLY those of any  industry associated with lactation, breast
>pumps, related equipment,  or artificial baby milk
>production/pharamaceutical company--you may NOT post notes to LACTNET
>without  identifying yourself as an employee of that company. This applies
>to EVERY note you post on LACTNET.
>      For example:
>
>"Jane Doe here, and I work for Medela.. or Playtex, ..or Egnell..or
>NewBabyMilk Company. My opinion of this issue is blah blah blah..."
>
>                                                       or
>
>"My thoughts are this...and This is why I think it..."
>
>J. Doe, IBCLC
>Paid Rep. of XXX company
>
>NOTE: You do **not** have to identify yourself as a pump rental station
>agent. This applies to the majority of LACTNET subscribers, and since you
>are not paid by the company, you are not their employee , technically.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                                 ****PLEASE NOTE*****
>Penalty for failure to identify your Business affiliation is permanent
>DELETION from LACTNET.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Please refrain from the injudicious use of  brand names. In many cases,
>using a generic term, such as  such as cylinder pump, bottle liner,
>rubber/silicone teat or pacifier/dummy, semi-electric breast pump, fully
>automatic intermittent electric breast pump, etc. should suffice to get your
>point across. If you wish to discuss or obtain specific information about
>particular products, you are encouraged to USE PRIVATE EMAIL to do so
>whenever possible.
>
>Please remember that companies and groups  may have unidentified
>representatives on LACTNET listening in to see what LCs et al are saying
>about their products. Religious groups, artificial baby milk company reps,
>and authors of an anti-breastfeeding nature have often joined LACTNET .  If
>you MUST mention a product, group, or book  by name, identify the
>information you are sharing as rumor, clinical experience, hearsay, study
>finding (with reference) when
>you share that information. Be aware that sharing unfounded information may
>give someone  cause to take legal action against   ***YOU***.
Any
> [...]
>to meeting you all on the LACTNET!. If you want to check out our WWW page,
>check out this address:LACTNET WWW PAGE ADDRESS:
>http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html. It has links to our own
>personal home pages on the WWW in addition. LACTNET's archives are available at
>http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
>
>PURPOSE OF LACTNET: For Lactation Consultants and other professionals  who
>assist breastfeeding mothers and their babies and/or who promote
>breastfeeding  to share concerns, information, hints for helping mothers
and babies.

>EXPLODER LISTS: Do not use software to explode LACTNET list  to others.
>Exploder lists are not allowed here... DO NOT PRINT OFF LACTNET MESSAGES to
>distribute or publish elsewhere without the EXPRESS permission of the author.
>
>CONFERENCE POSTING: Not allowed on Lactnet, please. Send it in to JHL or to
>the GLOBE.
>
>REMEMBER: What you write should be something that you would be willing to
>see printed on the FRONT PAGE OF THE  NY TIMES. If you mention a client's or
>a colleague's name, please get permission from them in advance. DO NOT post
>addresses and phone numbers publically.  Remember that Lactnet, as with
>other lists, though expressly for professionals, occasionally has other
>members who join without our knowledge.
>
>Please be considerate in your comments. We have people of many countries and
>cultures subscribing to Lactnet.  Breastfeeding practices differ from
>culture to culture...lactation assistance techniques also differ from person
>to person...If you wish to avoid embarassment, antagonism, legal redress,
>and similar unpleasantness, BE CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS about what you say and
>about whom/what!
>
>Naming names in a derogatory way  is not acceptable on Lactnet.  Neither is
>bashing of one group or another...such as doctors, LLLers, ILCA,  WIC
personnel,
>etc.  Doing so puts  everyone at risk for  SLANDER OR LIBEL suits, even if
>the comment made is true.  There has already been legal precedent set in
>several  cases involving comments made on the "net". We do not want to be
>another example, so please act in an adult fashion.  Comments that are not
>appropriate for PUBLIC hearing/reading should be sent by PRIVATE EMAIL. You
>are  responsible for your own comments at all times. First time offenders
>will receive a written warning privately.  Second time offenders will be
>deleted from the list. No exceptions.
>
>PRODUCT/SERVICES: If you have used a product or service (regardless of what
>it is) and wish to inform others about it, you may do so, but PLEASE do not
>share prices of obtaining same in public messages on LACTNET. This smacks of
>SELLING, and LACTNET is *not* the place for this. Not only is selling not
>our focus, but to do so places the person posting such information and the
server (in this case, LACTNET) and the owners  in a  potentially litigious
position.  None
> [...]
>affiliations.
>e. Scan pictures or documents of any size and send to our list. Please do
>this through private  email. Large files can cause Lactnet to BOMB, and may
>cause us to lose the good graces of our host. Don't attach documents to
>notes going to LACTNET.
>f .Use LACTNET as a resource for mothers needing assistance. LACTNET is NOT
>FOR MOTHER TO MOTHER SUPPORT. It IS for LC to LC support, or Nurse to LC
>support, or MD to IBCLC  support.etc. If you have clients who need
>assistance with bf, and you refer them to LACTNET for help, you risk being
>removed from the list. Please feel  free to refer clients needing help to
>appropriate local sources.  See our WWW page for more info on this.
>g. POST COMPUTER COMMANDS to the [log in to unmask] address. There
>are several hundred subscribers who receive every message that is sent...Use
>the [log in to unmask] address please ...for commands.
>h. Post conference notices or ads on Lactnet
>i. Do not post personal notes to your friend in Cleveland on LACTNET because
>you can't find her e-mail address....PERSONAL NOTES GO via PRIVATE E-Mail.
>

>POLICY CONCERNING REMOVAL FROM LACTNET:
>The administrators reserve the right to remove individuals from this list
>under extraordinary circumstances. It is difficult to anticipate every
>reason why someon might be removed from the lists; in general, behavior
>which is substantially disruptive to the list and which is known by the
>perpetrator to be inappropriate may lead to removal. An individual who is
>removed from the lists will be notified of the removal by administrators. if
>he or she wishes to appeal the removal, a poll will be taken of the current
>membership of the list.  . If 25% or more of the current membership supports
>reinstatement, the individual will be returned to the list.
>VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE: REGARDING MAILBOX ERRORS AND MAIL DELIVERY
>
>Due to problems with many accounts, all LACTNET are set to DIGEST
>automatically. This means that you will receive LACTNET in compacted form.
>This will give you all LACTNET messages lumped in 300 line increments...and
>will save you money and us error messages.   Instead of receiving each
>message separately, you will receive perhaps 3-10 messages in one message.
>If you do NOT wish to have this setting, you may write to
>[log in to unmask] with the command SET LACTNET MAIL.  If you do
>this, you must be aware that your mailbox may become MEGA full QUICKLY.  If
>you have a limited amount of storage space on your system for mail or if you
>DO NOT check your email frequently, (daily) you may QUICKLY reach your
>capacity.  LACTNET can generate up to 100 messages PER DAY.  A mailbox can
>become full after 2 days of unread messages.. , If your  site generates
>multiple errors, OR if we receive a FULL MAILBOX signal from your provider,
>YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY REMOVED FROM LACTNET in order to
reduce error message problems. This kind of thing is a real pain for us, and
>costs us MONEY to boot. EVERYTIME a message bounces out of YOUR full
>mailbox, it lands IN ours. : (   If you do get bumped off because of error
>messages,  please feel free to RESUBSCRIBE once your site is functioning .
>
>IF YOU ARE GOING ON VACATION AND WILL BE AWAY and NOT reading messages,
send a command to the [log in to unmask] address that says

>SET LACTNET NOMAIL.
>
>When you return, send a command SET LACTNET MAIL and your mail will be
>resumed .  To resume the DIGEST function...do a SET LACTNET DIGEST command
>to listserv.
>
>If you are interested in having only a MENU of messages come to you, and
not the actual digests or messages themselves, do a
>SET LACTNET INDEX
>
>This will get you regular indexes of Lactnet messages, and you may pick and
choose from them and order what you wish to read from Lactnet.

>LACTNET subscribers with concerns or questions about the above information
>should direct their concerns/questions/comments to KB ([log in to unmask])
>or KGA ([log in to unmask]). ENJOY!
>
>Yours ,
>
>Kathleen Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
>Kathleen G. Auerbach Ph.D, IBCLC [log in to unmask]

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLLeader, co-owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
LACTNET archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html