From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 06:46:00 -1000
Treatments
    Man oh man what a bunch of continuous talk about how to use drugs within
the bee hive. It all makes me even more thankful for living in Hawaii with
out the mites. Every other
posting is about some body's different idea about how to use these DRUGS in
bee hives . It really makes me wonder a lot about the integrity of honey
from places  with mites. Will
we some day have to out law the human  consumption of honey from mite
infested lands . When will everyone accept that we are lucky to have
treatments available and that the
exact labeling procedures must be followed. I wonder if there are penalties
for improper application of DRUGS to bee hives. My posting several weeks ago
about what testing
brought me a few responses and my belief is that there is no mandated
testing required of honey. I heard about packers spot checking honey for
sugar and I heard nothing about
required testing. What going to happen next.  Will someone have to get sick
or what. Surly if the F D A got involved with controlling the quality of
honey reaching the American
dinner table all bee keepers will suffer.,and who knows maybe this is the
way of the future given all the honeybee disease and pest invading U S bees.
What drugs or back yard
remedies might emerge with the recent introduction of multiple strains of
viruses from wherever they are coming from. Maybe the future of U S
(mainland) beekeeping will be strictly
for food pollination and the honey will be used for animal feed.
         Anyone wanting  U S produced honey without the possibility of DRUG
contamination should contact a Hawaiian bee keeper. We don't use anything
more then some
terrimycin and that is very infrequently. Hoping it works out in a safe and
best way.
           By the way if anyone would like to start bee keeping in Hawaii
there are 800 existing working hives for sale here in Paradise . Contact me
for more information if interested.

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm