From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 19:03:23 -0400

>  When
>offered the breast, baby opens wide and then gets the nipple into her mouth
>and "mouthes" the breast.   She (baby) then pulls away and arches her neck
>way back away from the breast.
>
>This baby is extreamly sensitive to any stimulation on her face or head.  We
>were very careful not to touch head during latch on- just offered support
>behing the shoulders.

Nancy-

Watch the baby's feet.  Do they kick?  Are the baby's hips flexed?  I've seen
some archers who need more lower body support.  If tummy, hips and legs are
wrapped around mom's abdomen and buttocks, and behind the knees are held
firmly next to mom, baby cannot arch.  Picture this - when going to the left
breast, mom holds left breast with left hand.  Right hand supports baby's
neck, forearm along baby's back, and elbow tucking baby's bottom and upper
legs into her side.  (This is sometimes called a cross-cradle, or
transitional hold).

Watch baby's feet.  Even in this position, if baby has something to push off
against, baby will push feet and throw head back.  Please let us know if this
helps.

Jeanne Fisher
Austin, TX