Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"- Patricia E. Predmore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:17:35 -0400

> The time to expose them to reasons to BF (or reasons not to
>formula feed) is more appropriately placed at an infant care class or cbe
>class; why waste time preaching to the choir by spending any more time than
>necessary covering advantages to BF at the BF class?.

Several years ago I, too, began to believe that teaching benefits of
breastfeeding to my breastfeeding classes was preaching to the
converted...until I observed another educator. She used benefits of
breastfeeding as an ice breaker--doing some group brainstorming work and
discovering what knowledge the participant came to class with.  (This is a
standard principle of adult education.)

Also adults are motivated to learn when they identify a need to learn. Not
everyone who comes to class is certain they will breastfeed, but few will
tell you so.  Discussing or listing benefits assists the learner in selecting
"ammunition " for their decision.  The empowerment model tells us that most
women will make these low-frequency, high-consequence choices based on social
concerns (peer group, convenience, life-style) first and foremost.  But they
will use medical fact as a way to justify their decision.  It's almost
backwards from what you might think.

The educator I observed would develop a list of advantages WITH the class and
then she would encourage them to select the three most important reasons to
THEM.  She's encourage them to write these down on a card she provided (it
had hotline, LC phone numbers and pump rental phone numbers on it) and told
them that these were for those days when nursing seemed difficult or they
were tired and tempted to look at breastfeeding for the main reason for their
fatigue.  And if they needed more--her phone numbers were on the back.  She
is a very compassionate teacher/consultant and her approach was soothing and
at the same time motivating.  As a result I use this technique in my own
classes.

There's my two cents.  I never did introduce myself--I'm a nurse educator and
breastfeeding educator (planning to take the LC exam soon) from Flushing,
Michigan.  Near Flint, north of Detroit.  I've been teaching for 14 years and
have three beautiful children.  And, of course, they were breastfed.  I also
teach childbirth classes.  Thank you all for making LACTNET such an
interesting and fun place to be.

Pat Predmore, RN, BSN, ICCE
Quote for the day (on STRESS) "Some days you're the windshield.  Some days
you're the bug."