From:
"Mr. Zenite" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:58:43 -0400
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:44:01 -0400
> From:    Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Birth and pain -Reply
>
> Lisa wrote: "I've got the feeling that some of the nurses don't
> believe in natural childbirth, don't "have time" to sit with the
> mom, don't believe in a need for a better way than the meds.
> I'm all for informed consent, but when we have these quote
> unquote determined parents NEVER succeeding, I don't
> know what to think. Where are we falling down?"
>
> Homework assignment to address this topic:
>
> (1) Klaus, M., Kennell, J, et al. Maternal Assistance and
> Support in Labor: Father, Nurse, Midwife or Doula? Clinical
> Consultations in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol 4, No 4
> (December), 1992: pp 211 - 217.
>    Discusses effects of social support on perinatal outcomes.
> Meta-analysis of 5 randomized clinical trials found presence
> of doula reduced length of labor by 25%, cesarean section
> rates reduced by 34-67%; reduced odds of needing pain
> medications up to 47% -- and one hospital reduced epidural
> rate from 64% to 11%. Breastfeeding rates improved, also.
>
> Anyone who wants to be inspired should order the tape of Dr.
> Klaus addressing the ILCA conference on this topic, July
> 1995.
>
> Lisa: Play the video or audio of this session for the
> "non-believer" nurses (video is best--seeing him will "soften"
> the tough cookies in the group).
>
> Margery Wilson, IBCLC
>
> ------------------------------

I'm Sue Samuels, a nurse at The Birth Center of Delaware in Wilmington,
DE.  I've been working with breastfeeding moms since my first daughter
ws born 28 years ago and was recently privileged to watch that daughter
give birth and initiate breastfeeding in a very normal, beautiful way
despite being hospitalized with a high risk labor.  I've been
counselling moms all this time and am now working to expand my skills
and knowledge to be more helpful to them.  I look forward to learning
from everyone on Lactnet.

Re the birth and pain issue:  Did anyone read the article in Birth
magazine where they studied the amount of time nurses spent in various
aspects of their jobs in maternity?  The article says nurses spend 6% of
their time doing supportive care of the laboring mom.  Any guesses why
moms need other support and help?

Our Birth Center is designed for constant support of laboring families
and the results are what you would expect, good outcomes with minimal
interventions and very strong positive feelings about the experience
even when it was a very difficult labor requiring many interventions.
Empowering families to understand and participate in the decision making
process and then reinforcing afterwards that they have done very well
with the labor and birth they had to cope with goes a long way, and good
support really makes a difference.  How to help hospitals see this and
act on it is a major issue.