Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jill Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 19:57:49 -0500
I was told today that a complaint was made against me by the mother of a
young girl who came in for a WIC certification with her new baby.  The
complaint came from the clients mother who  said her daughter was very upset
and that I was adamant about her breastfeeding and I made her feel like she
had no choice.  (This is of course third hand from my boss who NEVER defends
ME),  My recollection of the meeting was a new mother coming to certify
complaining of milk coming and and feeling swollen and in discomfort.  Me,
being not only the nutrition counselor but also the breastfeeding coordinator
whose job it is to promote breastfeeding told her that the best way to
relieve the discomfort is to have the baby breastfeed.  I remember giving her
a quick rundown talk about how to position and latch, and gave her literature
mentioning reasons to breastfeed as well has listing things that occur in
greater frequency with formula use.  I even mentioned that she could
breastfeed for a short while and decrease gradually just so she would have so
 much discomfort if breastfeeding wasn't for her. (or something of that
nature).  Unfortunately on the baby's chart I noted to asked mom if she
breastfed at all because "I tried to talk her into it"  (It's days like this
I look forward to retirement!!!!)
Her boyfriend was with her and there was not one time that I got the
impression that she was upset or didn't want the conversation  to go where it
was going.  In fact the boyfriend seemed interested even though he did say it
was her choice.  Of course it's her choice but I made it possible for her to
make a more informed choice.  I never once felt like she was upset at all.
 Here I thought I was doing my job and now I get "written Up" and it will go
in my records.  I get a chance to write a response to the complaint.  Does
anybody have anything to say to me?  Any ideas - about what I did wrong?  How
should I respond without digging the hole any deeper?
TIA,
Jill Meltzer, R.N.