From:
Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:52:38 +0800
I was speaking to a Hungarian friend recently about some personal
gynecological concerns.  She is the same age as me 41.  I was so surprised
to hear what she was taught in school-in Hungary -as a normal part of the
biology class for 13 year olds both sexes in the same class.  These 13 year
old girls were taught about the importance of excercising their pelvic floor
muscles- learning to stop the flow  and start again.  The boys were taught
how to make sure to take care of their foreskins and proper hygiene.  And
they were all taught how to breastfeed a baby- positioning etc.  They
weren't taught that it was best, they were just taught how to do it.
(Wouldn't it be silly to teach our kids "tooth brushing is best, but if you
chose not to brush your teeth, or you aren't able to...")  She said that it
was no big deal, just a normal part of class.

I am an American and I know that if these things were taught in our public
schools there would be a public out cry.  But aren't these things as
important if not more so than basic dental hygiene that all of our kids have
foitsed on them from their first day at pre-school?   What's the answer?

Nancy Sherwood, expat in perth, Australia