Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Patricia Martens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:47:45 PST
From:  Pat Martens IBCLC, MSc, LLL, Doctoral Student
Winnipeg, Canada

I have been amused at the discussion regarding breastfeeding myths in
the last few days. There is a lot of misinformation out there, true. It
is also very frustrating to work with misinformation.  HOWEVER, let us
never forget that sometimes rational women have made rational decisions,
that later on became misinformation.

In the First Nations (Aboriginal) communities of Canada (and probably
around the world), the term "myth" is associated with teaching stories -
valuable lessons of life and the passing on of cultural values. I cringe
when I hear the term, "breastfeeding myths". This may actually validate
the myth, or insult those who believe in the teachability of myths.
Let's call it what it really is - misinformation, or possibly
information that is not useful to establishing and maintaining
breastfeeding. Let us also try to understand from whence the
misinformation was derived, rather than scorning those who give it.
Maybe the misinformation was lack of good information, as is often the
case when health providers may not be up-to-date on current practice.
Maybe the misinformation was somehow protective of the woman or baby at
a past time in history, and has been "mistranslated" to current context.
For example, women who were overworked in poverty environments may have
said that their breastmilk was "too hot" or such, and then were given
total rest for a short while. This may have been actually protective of
the woman in an environment of severe deprivation. Unfortunately, if
this information is translated to today's situations, it could result in
all sorts of undesirable effects, like plugged ducts, decreased milk
supply, and so on. Or maybe the misinformation is a result of not taking
the time to check references, or relying too heavily on one's own
limited experience or anecdotes to generalize to the population.

In Aboriginal culture, the true "breastfeeding myths" would be teaching
stories that are beneficial to the present-day breastfeeding
relationships - stories that may be presented as allegory but also have
meaning at deeper levels. That is true myth. I desire to hear those
teaching myths from the elders of the culture, so that breastfeeding can
be encouraged in present-day First Nations communities.

Can you believe this rant?? Not really trying to preach, just trying to
be cross-culturally sensitive in our language.

pat

ps. Sorry for implying, Maureen Minchin, that the original "idea" of
overabundant milk supply came from Winnipeg. I know that Frances and
Michelle drew heavily from Australian sources in the early 80s - thanks
so much for being leaders! I referred to them mainly because of the
availability of their document in the Lactation Consultant Series.
Apology accepted??