From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:20:32 -0500
Hi, all:  This is probably pretty basic, but I wonder how to advise a mom
whom I saw two days ago with fissured and cracked nipples and mastitis.
One quick change in positioning and latching of baby was "miraculous",
with a mother who was cringing at the mere thought of nursing stating "I
can't believe this, it doesn't hurt at all!".  She's been treated with
all the appropriate stuff, frequent feedings, expressing milk onto
nipples and air drying, purified lanolin, and of course appropriate
antibiotics.  I spoke to her yesterday and she was much improved, but
asked how long the cracks would take to heal, because even though she was
now able to nurse without discomfort, the cracks open up with every
nursing session.  If the baby is now latching and nursing well, how long
can the cracks be expected to heal, and is there any reason to be
concerned about the fact that they keep opening up? Is there anything
else I should check for? By the way, she is rotating positions. TIA, Alicia.