From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 22:45:03 -0400
to all,
        the question was raised, do homebirth patients have fewer latching
problems? or something like that. I have started wondering the same since
I've been seeing more in hospital patients. For those who might remember my
frustrating post about a few weeks ago, I did get accepted as an LC at our
hospital so that it can go to shorter hospital stays. Now I'll be paid for
all the hours I put in there. I'm quite excited although I can't express it
at this hospital since many of my colleages will be losing their jobs
because of down-sizing.    I have seen a lot of "difficult to latch
problems" or "non exsistant latching" these past two weeks. Is there just a
run on these difficulties? Did I only see the more dedicated breastfeeders
when I generally only saw community patients? Do the midwives, at home
births help most mothers who are very committed and who really don't see
bottle feeding as an option.
        Are there any studies to verify imprinting at birth amongst our
human beings or is that only in the animal or bird world (ie) owls and
vultures. I know that we always suggest that mothers and babies should
remain together as much as possible, but is there a study. I'd like to make
a positive presentation about mother and infant bonding and breastfeeding as
one of my first presentations or inservices as an LC. after I start
officially May 1/96. I'll be kind and wait a little while until the dust
settles.
        Today during my second last shift as a labour and delivery nurse I
helped with a very difficult patient. Actually she was already a post partum
C/section patient but because I was wandering over there during one of our
quiet times just to follow up on some bf problems I was called into a room
to help with a convulsing mom, who was just about to breastfeed. The end
result was that they are querying Hellp syndrome and possible DIC. Her
platelets dropped to 54 from normal range before her emergency C/section for
fetal distress.Her liver enzymes had started elevat as well. She has been
transferred out to our area specialty hospital and unfortunately her baby
could not go along. Dad is trying to arrange relatives to bottle his child
to continue family contact. But its all so sad. I just ask for prayers that
this mom will be OK. than we'll tackle breastfeeding if I ever hear from her
again.
        sorry this was so long but its just been that kind of day and I
haven't sent any questions for awhile