From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:01:11 -0500
Hello Netters,

Green MIlk--- When I directed the Chicago Milk Bank,  I actually took
pictures/slides of all the variety of milk colors and appearances.  There was
blue, gray, green, slight reddish to orangish, watery to cream appearances.
 When asking mothers it seems like vitamins with alphalfa base, green
gatorade will color it green.  Jello and some of the other drinks will also
change the color.  I have several Chicago hospitals call with "pea" green
colostrum, fed the baby with no harmful effects.  I know some drs. go crazy
over it and want to test the milk.  Again, bacteria, etc were within normal
limits.
celebrities BF--- Chicago BF Task Force did a public fair downtown Chicago
last year and had contacted all those "celebrities" that had breastfeed to be
present.   I know Michael Jordan's mother was among one notifyed.   If you
are still interested in others (since I am brain dead at the present) e-mail
me and I will look up in my files or you could also contact LLLI and they
could probably help you since they also participated there.  It was a fun day
had by all.
Breast Milk Intake--- When the scales first came out for test weighing
infants, I was very sceptical.  I had been lecturing for years on the
inaccuracy of pre and post BF weights..  In fact I have several articles in
my files that backed me up.  Well, the scales that were used back then were
analog scales and inaccurate digital scales. Now they have more accurage
digital scales and Medela BabyWeigh Scale is within 2 grams for infants
weighing 0-6000g (0-12lbs) and 5 grams to infants weighing 6000-12,000g.  As
skeptical as I was after talking with Paula Meier and reading her research
and other articles she sent me along with talking to other moms using the
scale, I began to open my mind up a bit.  As other LC's have posted, it
actually reassures moms not doubts her places her on a quilt trip "let's see
you produce now and see what you are really giving your baby".  Like it was
mentioned I have also experienced the opposite of relaxing the mothers and
reassuring her she is doing fine.  The scales, like other products (well said
Linda Smith) can be abused and misused.  It is not for the normal newborn
that is doing OK and also, there will be times when using your clinical
observations  will be sufficient.  It is one other tool to be used along with
your clinical observations that can be extremely helpful.  As stated, Paula
Meirer found in the hosptal, that experienced neonatal nurses incorrectly
estimated volume of intake of infants vs the scale.  One does need to make
sure clothing is the same before and after.  In regards to the insensible
water loses, Paula also explains it well that with formula "attempt to
correct for the density of formula for test-weighing estimates on the scale
resulted in larger errors than when estimates were uncorrected.  Evaporative
water loss (EWL) and density of formula may not have been significant for
preterm infants in this weight range, who consumed relatively small volumes
of formula, and were clothed to prevent insensible fluid loss by the
cutaneous route.  Also, EWL and density of formula may have influenced the
test-weighing estimate in a systematic manner, but each individual effect may
have concelled the effect of the other."  My understanding is with the
specific gravity of breastmilk and water, one is overestimated and one
underestimated and therefore cancel each other.  Too much for my brain today.
 Time to take some more advil and rest the brain awhile.  Return soon.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela
Naperville, IL