From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 17:15:34 -0400
I have received 2 notes today from worried subscribers.  These folks feel,
and rightly so, that there is no privacy with regard to what is posted here
on Lactnet. They are correct.  Lactnet is *not* a private list, and has
never been private.   However, I must say that this is no surprise. The
introductory message states this in no uncertain terms, and in fact,
***nothing has changed.***  Lactnet is an open list.  Lactnet archives have
been open from day 1.  If someone wanted to get a hold of any of the
postings, this is possible and not at all difficult.  I am hoping that this
does not impede any learning that can happen via Lactnet.

So, our (Kathy A. and my)  original aim for Lactnet is the same. We hope
that all will learn and share via Lactnet..however, we caution you to
realize that what you say is public, just as it *always* has been. Nothing
has changed, except that now you have an easy way to get messages if you
have been gone. The old archive retrieval process was a lot more difficult
than getting them off the web. I believe that the benefits of having the
archives on the WWW outweigh the potential problems.

Respectfully, and thoughtfully,

Kathleen

--- I quote here from the LACTNET welcome message ..--

"REMEMBER: What you write should be something that you would be willing to
see printed on the FRONT PAGE OF THE  NY TIMES. If you mention a client's or
a colleague's name, please get permission from them in advance. DO NOT post
addresses and phone numbers publically.  Remember that Lactnet, as with
other lists, though expressly for professionals, occasionally has other
members who join without our knowledge.

Please be considerate in your comments. We have people of many countries and
cultures subscribing to Lactnet.  Breastfeeding practices differ from
culture to culture...lactation assistance techniques also differ from person
to person...If you wish to avoid embarassment, antagonism, legal redress,
and similar unpleasantness, BE CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS about what you say and
about whom/what!

Naming names in a derogatory way  is not acceptable on Lactnet.  Neither is
bashing of one group or another...such as doctors, LLLers, ILCA,  WIC personnel,
etc.  Doing so puts  everyone at risk for  SLANDER OR LIBEL suits, even if
the comment made is true.  There has already been legal precedent set in
several  cases involving comments made on the "net". We do not want to be
another example, so please act in an adult fashion.  Comments that are not
appropriate for PUBLIC hearing/reading should be sent by PRIVATE EMAIL. You
are  responsible for your own comments at all times. First time offenders
will receive a written warning privately.  Second time offenders will be
deleted from the list. No exceptions."

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLLeader, co-owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
LACTNET archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html