From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 18:16:33 EST
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:   Duncan Broadfoot, 101330,1063
TO:     gisele, 101550.2545
DATE:   10/03/96 09:46

RE:     Copy of: vit k

Gisele:  In the UK vit K was given without consultation until perhaps 4 or 5
years ago.  A study was then published suggesting a possible link between
intra-muscular vit k and childhood cancer.  This got the whole subject aired,
but has led to some strange practices.  Since oral vit k was not implicated,
some breastfed babies are now given the intra-muscular preparation orally, and
mothers are sent home with more to be given after a few weeks.  I have never
heard of it being given weekly - I think perhaps 3 doses maximum.  If given
intra-muscularly, one dose only immediately after birth.  Mothers would be
advised to go for the injection if eg forceps , prem baby, baby bruised.  The
regime followed will depend on the mother's choice, and certainly varies
enormously from hospital to hospital.  I have heard of mothers being bullied
over this one.

I don't think there is any concern re bottle fed babies - there is lots of vit k
in abm.

Although the cancer study has been largely repudiated by other studies from
Scandinavia, the concern and increased awareness in mothers remain.  Childbirth
organisations are concerned that a product which is unlicensed for oral use is
being administered orally.  I understand the carrier is phenol - maybe not what
we would choose to feed our newborns.

My personal view is that perhaps vit k deficiency is largely iatrogenic.  Given
the restrictive practices in the past, the 'ritual starvation' of newborns
(sorry - can't remember who I'm quoting!) it would hardly be surprising to find
babies deficient in lots of things in the early days.  I don't know whether any
studies have looked at populations where adequate early breastfeeding is
practiced?

Looking forward to hearing protocols from the rest of the world -

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland