Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:22:24 +0000
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
Pam Wiggins response to my post about having mothers bring their own
formula to hospital reminded me of an important point.  The WHO Code
has been implemented in Australia to the point that infant formula
is not promoted to the general public (eg TV, magazines, etc.).
While our trade practice laws do not permit a ban on advertising for
price, these small ads (placed only by retailers - not the
companies) cannot contain any promotional material, just the price
and where you can buy it.  This maintains competition for price, and
tends to give an advantage to the less expensive brands.  Given that
all formulas have to comply with the strict specifications of the
Food Code, they are all of a similar quality - even though some
companies would have us believe theirs is "closer to breastmilk".

It worries me what the companies in the USA might resort to if
mothers were selecting their brand of formula while pregnant, thus
becoming a target audience.  Companies might shift their promotional
energy from hospitals to the general public. Maybe you ain't seen
nothing yet.  Already I am appalled by the reports on Lactnet of what
companies get up to in the USA.  Most of these are the same companies
which market in Australia - no wonder they think they should be able
to do all sorts of things which are not allowed in the WHO Code when
their parent company has free reign in the USA.

Ros Escott
"In every work the beginning is the most important part,
especially in dealing with anything young and tender." Socrates