From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 22:36:16 -0500
I need your help with this:
primip (one previous miscarriage)  33 years old, baby is 6 month old girl,
mom breastfed for 2 1/2 weeks; hx of weight loss due to lots of vomiting
during pregnancy (mom has a deformed pyloric sphincter, which doesn't shut).
Took reglan during preg.5 mg twice a day; but wasn't effective after the
sixth month. Zantac was added to the reglan regimen. After delivery,
(C-section),  baby was septic and jaundiced, dr. thinks bec. mom was
dehydrated and there was very little amniotic fluid.  Zantac was increased to
twice a day and was told to stop breastfeeding. Mom takes Zantac occasionally
now, not daily. Also taking Ortho Novum birth control pills.
Now mom would love to relactate. She feels her daughter would get sick less
often if she could get breastmilk. What are her chances of relactating? She
is willing to rent the full size electric pump.How often should the mother
pump for optimal results?. If baby will take the breast, can we forego
pumping and use the supplementer at the breast instead? We've suggested
rebirthing to see if baby will take the breast; but what about her birth
control pill? She is going off the pill this Sunday for the week, and needs
to decide if she should continue with it in light of her wanting to
relactate, and use another method of birth control..
Can you wonderful lactnetters please help me with this mother.
Pearl Shifer, M Ed, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Coord., NENA WIC Program