From:
Laura Aldag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:28:16 -0700
lactnetters: I have a question that will seem very elementary but I am
struggling with understanding the mechanisms which control milk supply...how
the supply and demand system works. I have read on here and in the Riordan
and Auerbach text that a lactating woman's body produces more milk as a
result of the breasts being emptied and not as a direct result of nipple
stimulation. I understand that sucking stimulates certain nerve pathways
which send signals to the hypothalmus and then the pituitary gland which
causes an increase in prolactin and a resulting increase in milk production.
So, how does the emptying of the breast fit into this other than the fact
that they were emptied as a result of sucking and nipple stimulation. I am
missing something. I did read that the alveoli cells collapse as milk is
withdrawn....does this serve as some type of message to the pituitary to
increase milk production?  I want to incorporate this into a lecture i am
giving next week so any comments/explanations would be most appreciated.

-Laura
Laura Aldag, M.S.,R.D.
Assistant in Extension

the world; indeed its the only thing that has"   Margaret Mead